A Mad Boy


There was a strange air in the market that day. It happens when something unusual attracts every ones attention.  I could hear people talking about somebody very curiously.
I overheard a group of people having following conversation at the tea stall.

"how odd he looks !!!  did you notice his head? .....How small it is"
"Yes, very odd never seen somebody like him"

I became curious, I began to move towards the crowd to witness the subject of my curiosity.
Indeed the sight was very strange and unusual.



I saw a black complexioned boy about the age of 10 or 11 or more, completely nude seated on a heap of dust and giving occasional shrill cries. His head was unusually small than normal. Must be an abnormal born. When somebody tried to clothe him with a piece of cloth, he used to give a shrill cry and even attempted to strike with his hand.
It was that day this mad boy appeared, as if from nowhere. People said, someone brought him and left to his fate in the market place. Nobody knew exactly about the of the boy or where he belong.

Then on the, the mad boy became a common sight at the market place. As he was very reactive, nobody even dared to tease or ease him. Seldom I used to see him covered. When some tries to forcibly clothe him, he would bite, scratch or strike  him furiously . It was one day, I found him covered with piece of jute bag tied around his neck and waist. someone had tried to clothe him with a jute bag while he was asleep.

I wonder, if he (that someone) thought to cover him up, why with a jute bag? is that what he only  had? He could have covered him with some old used shirt. For the mad boy it must have been very uncomfortable. He attempted to tear it off and was scratching himself. It must have been very itchy for the poor boy. The other day he was nude again. but his body was cover with wounds from his own scratches.
The boy was no less than a street dog. He ate anything he picked up from the ground. If hungry, and someone offered him something to eat, he would behave as a nice boy and eat with his hands but at times he would behave like a wild animal.

It was one day, I heard a couple of people are beating him up hard. I ran to the site, like any other curious person, and I found him blood stained and laying half conscious. When I enquired about the reason, for what he was treated so badly. Somebody told me that he had almost killed a little boy by throwing stones at him. 

Later I got to know that the little boy had first teased him by throwing stones at him.

Few good men took the mad boy to the hospital.
some one told he died in the hospital. How much truth was there in it no one tried to dig deep into it.

who cares ! Who Cares?........all I could do is write.......


Comments

Popular Posts